So Juliette has been picking her clothes out for a while. Over Christmas she received a nice dress shirt as a gift. The only problem was that the shirt is brown & green in a plaid pattern. She took one look at it and said that it was a boy's shirt. After that reaction we didn't even bother putting it in her closet, it went straight to Nicholas' side of the bedroom where he'll be wearing it someday. If you are reading this blog and you gave Juliette the shirt may I suggest something in pink or purple next time. Yesterday Juliette wore a very pretty dress to school. Last night she told me how one of the boys in her class told her she looked so beautiful that when he got older he wanted to marry her. He also mentioned that Juliette's friend looks very pretty when she wears dresses but today Juliette was the prettiest. Juliette liked the flattery so much that this morning she would only wear a dress to school. She even told me it was to impress the boy. WHAT THE HELL?!? She's 4 years old but already the instinct of girls wearing pretty clothes to impress boys is kicking in (as well as the instinct to compete with other girls for their attention). I have no idea what to do. She obviously loves compliments (who doesn't) but I don't want this to be a root cause for the self-esteem problems related to appearance many girls seem have in their teens. Perhaps I could invite the little boy over for dinner and get him to watch her demolish and entire steak with her hands.
1 comment:
OK, perhaps I was a bit quick to ring the alarm bells. I had a conversation with Juliette Friday night and she mentioned how the boy really like her dress that day. At this point I realized a pattern. The boy likes the dress, he thinks the dress is pretty, he especially like how it flares out when she spins. This boy also is the only boy in an all girl dance class. See a pattern? Apparently I was a bit off on this knee jerk reaction post. My bad. Today, Juliette was back to wearing jeans to school.
Post a Comment