Sunday, February 27, 2005

A little bit of bad ruins all the good

The kids are sick. Juliette has had it much worse than Nicholas but they have both been miserable at various times this weekend. Of course my very pregnant wife hasn't been feeling all that much better so I decided to give her a break by taking them both out to the ski hill for Juliette’s lessons. The car ride up was OK but the few minutes trying to convince Juliette she wanted to go skiing was hell. After hugging her through her mini crisis, and after I got her dressed, she was eager to go. We barely made it to the class in time (they were at the front of the line at the chair lift) and then I had Nicholas all to myself. We played video games, play wrestled, read books, ate snacks and in general had a great time. Because Juliette had been sick recently I went out and intercepted her class while they were waiting at the chair lift to go back up the hill and sure enough she was ready to stop (cold toes). We went in to get warm, ate sandwiches with cheese and again had a fun time. When it was time to leave Juliette and Nicholas played while I tried to locate her skis. Basically up until I dropped Nicholas in the sled with some of the bags did the day start going bad again. Juliette wanted to go in the sled to but there wasn't enough room. She cried a little then a lot. She even screamed in between sobs, something about going in the sled. I ignored her as best as I could but even veteran parents are not immune to this type of behaviour (that's why they do it), so by the time I got to the car I was miserable as well. It took all of 2 minutes of driving in the car for them to both fall asleep and we had a very relaxing ride home. Upon entering the door of my house my wife asked me how it went and at first I wanted to say it was horrible. Then I realized that only about 6 minutes of it was truly bad the rest of the time was filled with laughter and fun. It's amazing how 6 minutes of all out tantrums can affect your mood for the rest of the day. The moral of the story is, try and remember that the cup was 94% full and remember the good times otherwise parenthood could turn out to be pure hell.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I just read about your experience with the ski lesson.You write very well.I could see the fun and hear the screams.You have a very positive attitude!
Your Mom is very proud of you in your role of "Dad".
This is a neat idea.
Say "hi" to the family. Talk to you soon
Brenda