Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Wing Yee

Sophie had her 1-month birthday celebration recently. She is so lucky to have such a diverse set of cultures with such rich traditions. Especially when the centerpiece of those traditions usually involve amazing Chinese and Cambodian food. At the event, which took place at the outlaws house, the entire family (both mine and my wife's) showed up to take pictures with the new baby, present her with gold or red envelopes stuffed with cash, burn incense while showing respect to their ancestors and burn money (fake that can be bought in Chinatown). Some of the dishes include an entire roasted pig, shrimp and ground pork spring rolls with fish sauce, beef tripe salad, pickled (sour) vegetables, rice and other dishes that I can't remember right now. Of course to wash it all down there was your regular assortment of drinks along with some high-end cognac. I so look forward to these events which happen at least 5 to 8 times per year. The house is always packed full of people and it's a chance to sit and chat with family members or just play with their kids. Sophie slept through all the manhandling and picture taking. As part of the ceremony the outlaws give her a Chinese name. Sophie's name is Wing Yee which means something good but I'll have to do more research to figure out what that something is. Now all three kids have a Chinese name (Juliette is Wing Kay and Nicholas is Mun Ming). I'm the only one in the family without a Chinese name (or not one they'll translate for me). That's fine, as I always say, you can call me whatever you want just don't call me late for dinner.

2 comments:

Suzette said...

I don't believe there was any beef-tripe salad this time! It was various coloured peppers (red, green, yellow), onions, and shrimp!

The "yee" has yet to be decided, from what I understand! There are 3 different characters with the same pronunciation. I think one of the uncles printed it all out and I believe it was dropped in your mailbox? Blog when you guys decide one one of the yee's!

Anonymous said...

HI there Dad of "3",
Congratulations to each of you on your beautiful girl child!!!
We got pictures from the Gramma !
I hear tht you have found a new home for your growing family and a move is coming up quite soon.
Take good care of each other.Talk to you soon