I am the father of three, Juliette YOB 2000, Nicholas YOB 2002 and Sophie YOB 2005. I want to try and record some stories on a regular basis about my day-to-day activities with my children. I'm hopping that when they get older and ask me for funny stories from when they were little I'll have something to refer to. P.S. The Ultimate in ultimatedad is a reference to the sport.
Friday, September 02, 2005
Father & Son
It was a slow day at work today and I was looking for some rejuvenation. So I called up my wife who's only stuck with two kids at home full time (now that Juliette has started school) and asked her if she wanted to meet for lunch. She picked me up and we went to Chinatown for some bubble tea, and a visit to the Chinese marina (otherwise known as the grocery store) to see huge tanks of live fish, lobster, crab and eel. As we were finishing our drinks outside sitting at a patio I decided that is would be a good idea if Nicholas and I hopped on a bus and went to my place of work to watch some construction that has been going on and perhaps visit people in my office. Nicholas is always up for a ride on the city bus (known to most teenagers as the loser cruzer) so we made a run for the nearest stop. When I realized that no amount of running (either with Nicholas in my arms or with him running as fast as his little 3 year old legs could carry him) would get us to the stop in time. We just flagged down the bus in between stops (which I think you can only do if you are a good looking girl, a senior citizen, a pregnant women or accompanied by a child shorter than 3 feet). During the entire bus ride Nicholas asked if it was our stop yet. It's amazing how kids are more or less the same. I wonder how many kids in the history of bus rides have asked their parents that exact same question over and over and over again. Oh well I'm sure I did it to my parents and I'm sure Nicholas' kids will do it to him. When we finally arrived at our stop I took him to a construction site where they are blasting through bedrock to put in a 30-story office tower. It was amazing. I don't know who enjoyed it more, Nicholas or myself. There were two backhoes removing rock that had been blasted into pieces the size of a dinning room table and dumping them into dump trucks. It's a good thing mom came by in the car to pick up Nicholas or I don't think I'd have ever gone back to work. If anyone is looking for me at lunch next week I’ll be watching the mighty machines (with or without a kid). Nicholas had a good time (I think), and I enjoyed the quality father and son time we spent together. It's fun to have each kid to yourself once in a while. From now on I'll try harder to get 1 on 1 moments with all my children on a regular basis.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Is that the place that used to be the little park across from treats?
What did Mom do with Sophie while you were off having boy-time?
It really wasn't much of a park. I always wondered why such a pathetic looking greenspace existed there. Now I know, they were just waiting to build another office tower (you can never get enough office towers).
Sophie slept the entire time in the stroller during our boy-time. I don't think she felt too left out.
Post a Comment