I recently had a conversation with a stay-at-home mother with three children ages 10, 8 & 5. Since she is five years ahead of me I asked her for any insights into what's in store. She responded by saying that it gets much better; the kids are more independent and more fun than ever to be around. Which got me thinking, I don't think life is all that bad right now. Mind you I'm not the one at home full time with the kids but still there are experiences right now that I'm sure I'll miss dearly in a few years. So before I forget how much fun kids 5 and under really are here are a few experiences I'll miss the most.
1. Being able to pick up any of my children and rock them back and forth until all their problem and tears go away. In a few years, problems will include friends, school and other external forces that will require more than a few minutes in my arms to fix. Even Juliette at the age of 5 can still be consoled with a hug and a kiss, mind you she's too big for mom to pick up now but I can still lift her out of a car seat and put her to bed without waking her.
2. Knowing absolutely everything my child is trying to get away with. Let's face it; our children spend their entire lives trying to get away with something. Yesterday Juliette was doing her Chinese homework and every time I asked her what the symbol “=”meant (which means 2) she had to count through "yet" (1) before she could tell me it was "yee". I told her to stop counting in her head and to just memorize the symbol outright. At which point she asked me how I knew she was counting in her head? Well the fact that there was always a pause before "yee" and I could read her lips mouth the word "yet" was the giveaway. Soon she'll figure out ways to get away with murder and I guess I’ll just have to resort to reading her diary or blogger (just kidding).
3. Watching them play, sleep, eat and pretty do much everything, except cry, is so incredibly cute. How cute is a child between the ages of 0-5? Well I would easily pay $20 an hour just for the opportunity to watch one. That's why I think childcare providers are so poorly paid because even though what they do is extremely important, it's just way too much fun and as a result attracts a ton a people to the job. When I retire, just like when I was in university, I think I'll volunteer at a licensed daycare.
4. When I enter the house from a day at work, Juliette and Nicholas run to the door yelling "Daddy!" just to give me a hug. Actually hugs and kisses, in general, come easier and more frequently with young kids. Nicholas has brought it to a whole new level and will actually kiss almost any acquaintance on the cheek when it's time to say goodbye. I love the effect this has on people; it always brings a smile to their face.
Well that's all I can think of for now; maybe next week I'll jot down a few things I won't miss so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment