Thursday, November 24, 2005

Don't believe everything you hear

The following conversation happened just before bedtime a few nights ago...
Juliette: "Daddy, you have to scare me."
Me: "What? Why?"
Juliette:"Daddy, you have to scare because I have the hiccups."
Me:"Juliette, that doesn't actually work but if you want to try it out that's fine. I'll hide in my bedroom and you come looking for me then I'll scare you."
Juliette:"OK"
So I hid in the closet and told her to come find me but she had closet door squeak while I was hiding so it just didn't work. We tried it again and this time I hid behind the bed. She started looking for me in the closet first (kids are so predictable at this game) and continued on to the ensuite bathroom. I could see her little feet from under the bed so by the time she was approaching my hiding spot I was able to time my pounce for maximum effect. Juliette eyes widened and she almost got airborne. After she confirmed that I had indeed managed to scare her this time, she hiccupped. So we finally had proof, scaring someone is not a remedy for hiccups. I hope in the future she'll take some of my advice at face value, but from what I understand this happens less and less as they approach the teenage years.

2 comments:

Suzette said...

Drinking water slowly usually cures my hiccups.
I tried the upside-down thing, only to fall and hit my head...and eating a spoonful of sugar just sounds unhealthy to me!

Anonymous said...

Eating a bit of sand or sugar (whichever you prefer) will cure hiccups.

Pepere