Tuesday, June 15, 2004

Hi Lanna

I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish Lanna a Happy Birthday. She was born last Wednesday after 30+ hours of labour at 7lbs 6oz. I've seen the pictures and, luckily for her, she looks nothing like her father. I will be using this event as an excuse to visit Oakville as soon as the family has a chance to adjust.

There is something special about being a new parent. I remember when Juliette was on her way I didn't miss a single doctors appointment, we painted and decorated the baby's room and spent hours making sure everything would be just right. Then labour starts and goes on for 30+ hours, your wife is exhausted and in our case there was a C-section. During labour there were scary moments like when the baby's heartbeat slows down and the nurse calls in a dozen staff to lift your wife and turn her on her side to speed it up again. Sure to them this happens all the time; to you it's the scariest thing you've ever lived through in your entire life. Then the baby comes out and the real fun begins. You learn from the staff how to bath, nurse, burp and change your baby. Breastfeeding turns out to be more difficult than you ever imagined. The pressure parents put on themselves to nurse your child is ridiculous but one way or another you get through it. I'll never forget the first day we brought Juliette home, she was sleeping in her car seat and we looked around the house and asked ourselves, "Now what?” For some reason I expected for my brain to shift gears and I would become a completely different person. I thought I would get home with a new baby and become busier than a beaver in a lumber shop. But instead all that stuff like thinking like a parent and running around like a chicken with it's head cut off came only after years of parenting (and from what I hear it only gets worse). I was kind of disappointed that at the end of the 9 months I didn't just transform into a father like a caterpillar transforms into a beautiful butterfly but instead it's the journey of years that makes the difference. Oh well now that I know, I look back on the pre child days and think, boy I didn't have a clue. I guess it's all part of the master plan and I wouldn't trade it for the world.

So Matt, enjoy the ride and take care of your little girl.

No comments: