Wednesday, April 28, 2004

Not so shy & Kid Tricks

Not so shy
It's funny how kids are. Some will hug anybody and some won't let go of mom or dad if they aren't in their parent's house. My kids resemble the former. Nicholas and Juliette will hug and kiss the scariest of people without a second thought. My father in law is famous for scaring little children just by his gruff appearance. But almost since birth my children have ran to him for hugs and kisses. I'm glad they're so outgoing, that way people outside our household have a chance to enjoy them too.

Kid Tricks
I don't know about you but I love showing off what my kids can do. At one point Juliette had memorized an entire rhyme book and could recite every story by heart. She was about 2 years old when rhymes such as crooked man, the mouse ran up the clock and others would be recited in words that only a parent could understand, unless you were reading along with the book. She would do this in front of crowds as large as 5 or 6 and it is one of my most precious memories.
Nicholas will demonstrate his entire vocabulary on command. Now I realize a few words like "please", "bus" and "yes" aren't very impressive but coming out of a less than 2 year old is adorable. I'm a very proud parent who has a hard time not saying "I know" when people remark how cute they are.

I hope the kids keep their outgoing personality for later years. It helps that they are both in daycare and Juliette has already a solid group of friends that she plays with.