Thursday, May 13, 2004

He's no wimp

My wife was stating how it was unfair for the second child to always be compared to the first. I don't see it as a bad thing, it's something all parents do. Even when there was only Juliette she was being compared to other kids her own age. Every parent does it because we need to have confirmation that our child is developing OK and will have a chance at being a great success in life. During the discussion we realized one of the biggest differences between our two children is that Nicholas is no wimp (unlike his sister). The boy can fall hard, scrap his knee and come up laughing about it. The other day he gave me a headbut so hard that I yelped in pain. As I reached down to pick him up and console the poor kid expecting a flood of tears, he looked at me and laughed! If that had been Juliette she would have cried for hours. I guess it's to be expected. Nicholas has to be a little tougher because Juliette is twice his size and loves to man-handle him. If Nicholas wasn't tough life would be much noisier in our little house. Juliette has always been a wimp, and an easy target for school-yard bullies. I'm hoping that Nicholas will defend his big sister and fight her battles for her.

No comments: