I am the father of three, Juliette YOB 2000, Nicholas YOB 2002 and Sophie YOB 2005. I want to try and record some stories on a regular basis about my day-to-day activities with my children. I'm hopping that when they get older and ask me for funny stories from when they were little I'll have something to refer to. P.S. The Ultimate in ultimatedad is a reference to the sport.
Wednesday, May 12, 2004
Why?
From the time Juliette started saying her first words it seems she has been asking me Why? She would ask so frequently that we made her phrase her questions in the form of a sentence so I could make sure she understood what I just said, as opposed to the "Why?, Why? Why?" Routine. Last year her most favorite question was, "Why is it raining?", and every time I would explain the natural cycle of evaporation, clouds etc... I would have liked to respond "Because the Angels in heaven are crying, probably because of something you did." but that kind of goes against my unofficial rules of parenting (someday I'll right them down). My favorite questions recently have been: "What is a n-idiot daddy?", "Daddy, are you going to go hunt a deer?", "How does the baby get out of my belly?", "When am I going to die?", "Which team is Canada? (asked during any sporting event)" and "What is Earth". You become so use to answering questions all the time that it becomes second nature. I always try to answer them as truthfully as possible so that the answers remain consistent. Then the other day I realized something had changed in our relationship. At the ripe old age of 4 she's stopped asking questions about every single thing in the world. She's started to provide me with answers. Even when the answers were wrong, like when I discussed with her the meaning of being bored, she sticks to her guns and insist she is right. Do I miss the old Juliette, a little but the quite time is nice. Of course Nicholas is learning a new word every day so it won't be quite for very long and that's a fact.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment